Friday, April 5, 2013

An inspiring night at Take Back The Night

Last night was Take Back The Night. I've gone to a few over the years but last night was by far the best I've ever gone to. It was a heavy, emotional, but uplifting and informative event. The turn out of people was great! I was so happy to see so many people come out and be a part of taking the night back, it really is empowering to see a large support group of people who are there against sexual assault.

The keynote speaker was phenomenal! Norman E. Friedman really reached out to me and my family with how to teach children to protect themselves against molestation. He talked about teaching the child the "No Touch Zone" and how to tell them "You are not allowed to touch me there" if someone tries to enter their "No touch zone." I'm so thankful to my mother who bought me his book that was for sale "Inoculating Your Children Against Sexual Abuse!" Really Thank You mom! I haven't read it yet as I just got it last night and haven't had a moment but I'm sure I'll have read it cover to cover by the end of the weekend. I want to do everything possible to prevent my daughter (soon to be daughters) from going through what I went through.

Then we had the survivor's speak. The survivor's part is always hardest for me because it's raw emotion and having gone through abuse it really hits hard. The people who spoke were so strong and brave, and really inspiring. They spoke about what happened to them, and shared a pome or song that helped them in healing. I can tell you having been a speaker last night, it was the largest crowd I've spoken in front of and it was a bit frightening, but also so many people being there was really supportive as well knowing that they were all there for the same reason. I really want to say thank you to all who spoke last night, they all did such a great job.

There was a man who spoke about the abuse he had gone through and I heard him speak for his first time last year and to see the change in him over a year was great! He spoke about how hard it is for men to come forward about abuse that happens to them and how hard it is to talk about. He is now a counselor with VIP in hopes to get other men to talk about their abuse, because it's easier for a man to talk to a man (which I feel the same it's easier for me to talk to another woman) and to just get help that is needed. I really applaud him in overcoming his past and using it to now help others!!

There were 2 young girls who read pomes/sung and they did such a great job. They were so young and so strong and brave for getting up there and opening up. I wish I had a copy of the songs and pomes to share. The pome that was read really touched me. It was about how this girl had gone through something so hard and how her mother didn't believe her and how alone she felt and wanted to leave this life. I know exactally how she felt and I know there are many other victems and surviviors who have gone through the same or are going through it. When you're a victem you really do feel like you're all alone, and for someone not to believe you it makes you feel that much more alone. When I was going through my abuse I wanted to die, but never could do it, I also didn't want to give my abusers the satisfaction of seeing how much they hurt me. I'm so happy that she has gotten help and shared her story, it shows how strong she is not only for going through what she did and surviving, but for getting help, and for sharing in front of a group of people and by doing so helping others. I know she'll go on to do great things in life. Best wishes to her, and to the other young girl who sang so beautifully such strong songs.

Thank you to all who spoke. And Thank you to all who came out.

The theme of the night was Start a Ripple, Create a Wave. I really think that Victems Intervention Program (VIP) accomplished that last night. And I hope that everyone who was there took it home with them and that we can all start a ripple in our own comunities and in turn create a wave across the state, country, and world!

No comments:

Post a Comment